dhammadrops

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Open up our hearts and minds


During the university semester breaks, I have the luxury to yum cha with my friends. And we often discuss about life. One afternoon, I was playfully pulling on a wrist bangle worn by one friend.

She tersely said "If it breaks, you pay for it ah!"
I looked at her. And because we have been friends for many years, I was brave and frank enough to share with her a teaching, so simple and yet profound... and all it requires is a new attitude.

I said "CP, wouldn't it be so wonderful if we all have a more open and generous attitude to life. You could have said "Oh, do you like this bangle? If you really do, I will be happy to give it to you"."

If we can open our hearts instead of putting more cement to seal it against others, we will see the world quite differently.
Fools are happy when acquiring wealth; wise people find happiness in giving it away.

A few days later, her sister heard this story. She with a twinkle in her eye, mischievously eyed my wedding ring and said "You said like this one ah... One day I will hold it to your word! Hehehe"

Ahh my dear friends, yes, we should all be generous, but we must NOT be stupidly generous. Wisdom and generosity must go together. Give when there is a need, NOT when you are taken for a fool.

To the 2 sisters, NOPE I am NO FOOL! Hahahaa!



No comments:

Post a Comment

item2
masthead
upcomingevents